Wednesday, April 22, 2009

memory and remembrance

... in unforeseen places

Today, I got out an album I hadn't listened to in the approximately last 4 years.
And it is amazing how my memory works! I forget things that happened yesterday but I remember song lyrics and melodies that are years old. I could sing along to each song and only forgot those parts of the lyrics, I hadn't been able to remember the first time...
But the more interesting aspect of getting out things from some time ago, is the inner reaction.
With every book that was read before and every album that was listened to, come the feelings and ideas from last time. And those get mixed up with today's feelings and ideas. And if you get out that book or album or whatever some years later, again, you will receive the feelings and ideas of both times before.
It is like an unintentional time capsule! One that you store up every once in a while.
I love it.

"from all of us here, we wish you a happy painting, and God bless you, my friend"

3 comments:

Jana said...

I saw your blogsite and it caught my attention-- are you into Gaelic music by any chance? One of my old friends has been trying to start a Gaelic-language band (he's Canadian FWIW) and looking for resources.

There is a sort-of Gaelic music reference over on the mygaelic.com site (with lists of events) though I wonder if there's a sort of meeting place somewhere for would-be Gaelic musicians.

M. said...

Apropos Alben und time capsules.... "Exciter" wurde am 14. Mai 2001 veröffentlicht :D
Ich mag den time capsule effect von Musik auch seeeehr.

gaelic lupin said...

Hey Jana!
I am very sorry but I'm not very much into Gaelic music. I do like to listen to it and would *love* to make some, myself. But nothing the like at the moment, sorry.
If you (or your friend) should find some meeting place for would-be Gaelic musicians, please let me know!
thank you!