Thursday, May 07, 2009

my first time

... as a guide

On Tuesday, I assumed my new job as a guide for cruise ship tourists.
I had been nervous for the last fortnight, had slept badly, falling asleep with thoughts of how to say things, dreaming of tours I took with faceless tourists, and always afraid I would do something wrong.
By Monday evening I was a nervous wreck.
Edgy, moody and bad-tempered - and poor Robert had to put up with it.
Tuesday morning however, I had to face it. And it went really well =)
As clouds and occasional rain are a bit daunting to cruise ship tourists, I only had to manage a group of 20 plus middle-aged people who were well aware of the weather conditions, and well prepared for it.
I followed the route, told them what I had planned to say, occasionally saying more in order to temporize (we had taken-off a good 10 minutes early and I had to "deliver" them at a certain place at a fixed time, so I had to keep them entertained), and generally had a great time. "My group" was good-humoured, interested and very nice. They enjoyed the tour, and so did I.
And I was really taken aback when I bid them farewell at the ship and was not only tipped but also hugged by some of the guests!
It was a great day. Hopefully, my next tour will be just as enjoyable.
Wish me luck next Monday!


(P.S.: And for all of you who wondered, what my final decision was, last Sunday (sleep & cuddle with Robert, or stay awake and do some work) - I got into bed and cuddled. Truth be told, it was not so tough a choice ;)

"from all of us here, we wish you a happy painting, and God bless you, my friend"

2 comments:

Paulchen said...

Yehaah, you did a great job!
I have now spent a few days to think and wonder how you made it. But yes, you see me satisfied. :-)
Thx for the confidence you have placed in us!
Just go on like this, you will manage it!
....and good luck on Monday...

M. said...

Ich wär auch wirklich enttäuscht gewesen wenn du dich nicht für die cuddle-Option entschieden hättest *grins*

Will keep my fingers crossed for you again on monday. (Consequently followed by inability to write and eat and take photos and... and... AGAIN! Nevermind ;)
HUGZ